Mary Louise Kelly, Marcus Kwara, Gerald Saxman discussed on All Things Considered
By landfall. Tampa International Airport was slated to shut down that hey ahead of else's arrival, forecasters warn of storm surge in some areas. Meanwhile, the number of people known dead at the Surfside condo collapse has now risen to 36 with 109. Others still unaccounted for. Your governor Andrew Cuomo is issuing an executive order declaring a disaster emergency on gun violence. Like many states and cities, New York saw a significant rise in shootings during the pandemic. NPR's Jasmine Gar says more. In a press conference this afternoon, Governor Andrew Cuomo framed the issue as a public health. Emergency humanity demands that we attacked gun violence. Young people are dying and you know it and you can stop it. The governor laid out a seven point plan, which includes increased funding for youth activities and employment. As well as declaring a war on illegal weapons coming from out of state. He also said he will focus on improving relations between the police and community. Jasmine Garza. NPR NEWS New YORK Trump congressional Democrats say they're working to trying to come up with an agreement that will help pay for president binds multi trillion dollar infrastructure improvement plan. We're gonna closely divided Congress, the moderate and liberal wings of the Democratic Party have little space for disagreement. On Wall Street. The Dow was down 208 points today You're listening to NPR and at 304 on a Tuesday, July six, This is KCRW and Larry Peril. Well. Los Angeles is coming off a bloody Fourth of July weekend with at least a dozen people killed in suspected homicides. It's part of a bigger recent surge in violent crime. One of the victims was a teenager shot and killed in a car to car shooting in Venice. 18 year old tiebreak was a football player in recent grad of Venice High School. He was driving his restored 1979 Cadillac early Monday morning when he was chased down by some people in a white sedan. LAPD. LAPD Lieutenant John Radke says surveillance video shows at the Chase, lasting for some lasted for several blocks before braise car hit a curb and flipped onto its side in the front yard of a home on Rose Avenue. We really do not know how this started. It does appear that the victim was followed and pursued and shot at multiple times. A woman embraced cars in the hospital in serious conditions. Not clear if this fourth of July was deadlier than past holidays. But the LAPD recently reported the shootings are up 50% this year homicides almost 25%. LAPD says the uptick in violence began early in the pandemic and has yet to level off. An LAPD sergeant accused of sharing a Valentine's Day meme that math The wrongdoing and will not be disciplined. The decision comes from the department's board of Rights, and it contradicts chief Michael Moore, who had recommended the sergeant be fired more now from Kcrw's Daryl Saxman. The social media Post the sergeant was accused of sharing included an image of Floyd and the words You take my breath away. Floyd was murdered last year by Minneapolis police officer who knelt on his neck for more than nine minutes. Chief. Moore told the Police Commission in February that the sergeant allegedly received the post from outside the LAPD and sent it to another member of the department. The sergeant who hasn't been publicly identified, was the only LAPD employee facing discipline, although more admitted at the time that some in the department had what he called extremist views. The board of Right is an administrative trial commission made up of three hearing officers after reviewing the evidence. It found the sergeant not guilty of sharing the offensive me. This. KCRW's Gerald Saxman reporting so support for NPR comes from little passports, offering activity kits to keep kids engaged. This summer. They'll explore France and Japan and build a volcano and submarine from the kitchen table more at little passports dot com. We'll see. Clear skies this evening with lows in the sixties will be sunny with highs around 70 at the beaches tomorrow, Upper seventies to mid eighties. For Metro lay in inland Orange County. It's all things considered from NPR News. I'm Mary Louise Kelly and um Ari Shapiro, one of the first funerals for victims of the condominium building collapse in Surfside, Florida was held today. Marcus Kwara, His wife, Anna, and daughters, Lucy, A. And Emma were remembered in a service at ST Joseph's Catholic Church in Miami Beach. Just miles from the church search and rescue continued today at the site of the building collapse, Rescue crews pulled eight more bodies from the rubble, bringing the number of confirmed dead 2 36. Miami Dade Mayor Daniella Levine. Cava says federal investigators are also on the scene, gathering information about what caused the collapse. The whole world wants to know what happened here and especially Those who are the victims, the survivors, family members of those who are in the pile. NPR's Greg Allen joins us now from Miami. Hi, Greg. Hi, Ari. As crews conduct the search and rescue today they're also dealing with a strong tropical storm that is bearing down on the state. How is that affecting their work? Well appears a tropical storm is on a track that's going to miss this area. It's now expected to make landfall along Florida's West Coast early tomorrow. You were for fears, though, that if Tropical Storm Elsa targeted Miami High winds could further destabilize even toppled that building that was remaining standing because that the building was taken down with an implosion early Sunday, But bands of heavy rain and strong wind gusts have been coming through here today and have slowed the effort. Crews were forced to stop work for a couple of hours today because of wind gusts and the lightning. Officials say With the demolition, they can now access all parts of the pile and they're making progress. Any idea how many victims are still trapped or buried in the pile of rubble? That's not entirely clear. Currently, officials say they have 109 people have been reported missing. But Miami Dade Mayor Levine Cava says much of that information is still incomplete. We may only have a name without an apartment number without a date of birth or other details. Earlier today, the mayor said police detectives have been going through the list and can only confirm about 70 of those reported missing were actually in the building when it collapsed. It has now been 12 days since the building collapse, and dozens of families are still waiting to find out. What happened to their loved ones. Are officials holding out any hope at this point? Well, not really. In nearly two weeks of searching, rescue workers have found very few empty spaces or voids in the rubble where they say someone may have possibly survived. Asked about it today, Miami Dade Fire chief Alan Kaminsky says. We're not saying anything positive. Officials aren't saying when they will officially give up the search for survivors and move into the recovery phase. But Mayor Levine Cava has been talking to the families, she says They understand the situation. They know what is happening. They understand that the news of their loved ones may be tragic loss and they as their contacted You've met. Them know that a loved one has passed. They're prepared for it. And so I think Everybody will be ready when it's time to move to the next phase. And is there anything new on the investigation into what caused the collapse? Well, officials say investigators with the National Institute of Standards and Technology are on site and they're tagging all the evidence that's been gathered. There have also been using computer based imaging to create a three d model of the pile and the and of the remaining building before it was demolished. In the meantime, a local grand jury will also be taking up the matter and an investigation. A number of lawsuits have been filed in Miami Dade is convicted is convening an expert panel to look at what went wrong and to make recommendations on how to make sure It's something like this doesn't happen again. NPR's Greg Allen in Miami. Thank you. You're welcome. Some of the nation's most senior law enforcement officials have called the January 6th attack on the U. S. Capitol.