Andy Freeman, Louisiana, Bossier City discussed on Dr. Daliah


By the time. He was diagnosed it was too late to administer the drug. There has been only three. I guess it was a drug that was previously provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America. And the drug is not easily accessible they say, so there's a pretty brain eating the comes from warm fresh water, and it's called primary amoebic Monenco encephalitis. So basically the amoeba gets up into your nose. And then it travels up your nose into the brain and likes the brain. It's a nice juicy. It's soft. It's I it's good blood flow. It's warm because these amoeba is like warm, and they like wet. So it's a great area. The nose won't stay in the nose because it's dry. So it will crawl up going to the brain. And then basically invade the brain. And by the time, it invades it and infects it it causes brain tissue. Swelling kills offering tissue. And you end up dying. Instability was a surfer snowboarder, really active guy. So they're still investigating. Now. We're being told by USA today that a portion of the water system in Louisiana has tested positive for the brain eating amoeba. Andy Freeman the operator of SOGA water systems that residents in south Bossier parish southeast. Shreveport may be affected. The Louisiana department of health conducted a random test of the system last week and notified the system of the positive is Friday, so go and purchase the water that tested positive for the from Bossier city. He he has disconnected from Bossier city water and is now using well water to supply those customers. So. Other testing sites. Do not have the Viva. But. Still go water system, which is what the residencies right was concerned about chlorine level. So they started flushing the affected portion of the water Wednesday. The water system has been instructed to intake, a free chlorine burn for the next sixty days. Now, the state has not issued a boil water order yet. So I know that freaks people out. There was somebody who had been using a Netti pot flushing out there. Sinuses years ago. I believe that was either in Florida or Louisiana, and they ended up getting the amoeba that way because of tap water. Which is why we never tell you to use tap water to flush out, your sinuses, crazy stuff. And usually these amoeba will enter the skin or they will enter through your nose and entering through your nose seems to be the most accessible way for it to get to the brain. And kill you. If you swallow the water, we don't see people getting infected, and that would make sense because most of these vivas that are that are there, the probably in the water, and if it doesn't get up into your nose, you know, people obviously a bit exposed what did they ever gotten hurt? We using those nose clips when you swim is crucial. And they say if you do swimming fresh freshwater, you have to be careful of the silks that's at the bottom because when you brush it up, that's what brings these amoeba higher. And then if you're dunked underwater, which people do that that's how it gets up into the nose. And it's scary stuff because this is so rare. But unfortunately, you know, we want our kids to play outdoors. Enjoy the summer and the fall enjoy nature, and these nasty things are out there. And even though they're rare they're so deadly and our medicine still aren't good enough. Enter diagnosis still is a good enough. Somebody from New Jersey is not going to be suspected to have this. But you know, he had gone down to he.

Coming up next