Arkansas, San Francisco, Tulsa discussed on All Things Considered
It's aimed is to attract skilled motivated people to liven up the city and juice its economy. And Stewart is the interim director since inception two plus years ago, the program has brought nearly 500 members to Tulsa and interest has surged during the pandemic. We've seen applications over the course of the last six months. Increase up to three fold. Other regions also see an opportunity in the shift to remote work like Northwest Arkansas. It's home to WalMart, the University of Arkansas. And it's surrounded by lakes and mountains, like in the TV show, Ozark, the Northwest Arkansas pitch come live here and we'll give you $10,000 and a bicycle. Bicycle. Bentonville, one of the city's in northwest Arkansas, has proclaimed itself the mountain biking capital of the world, and a lot of experts would not disagree with that. Nelson Peacock is the president and CEO of the Northwest Arkansas counsel. The region started its initiative after the pandemic started when Cove it took place. We really saw people re evaluating their lifestyle and what they saw was important and we felt that we needed to take advantage of that. The effort is partially funded by the Walton Family Foundation of Financial supporter of NPR. For those pondering a move to Northwest Arkansas, Peacock says. It's not just the outdoors. There's culture Top Museum of American Art And it's monumentally cheaper than, for example, San Francisco say you make 150,000 pretty good. It's comparable to $63,000 is what you would need to have the same lifestyle here. That's some pretty serious savings, but the same lifestyle moving from San Francisco Toe northwest Arkansas or Tulsa, Oklahoma. To Lisa Garland says her new neighborhood and Tulsa. It's progressive politically and doesn't feel that different from her old hometown, Berkeley to other parts of the city. Yeah, it's very, very, very different from Berkeley from San Francisco from the Bay Area, and so's much the rest of the state. Oklahoma is one of the reddest states in the country. Growing is a Democrat, and she's actually looking forward to meeting people with different views, especially in these challenging political times. You have to see what the other side and so I think that living in this city will give me an opportunity to kind of have a better understanding of The other side of things. And so I think it's actually very exciting where we Berliner NPR News, One of the most notable insects in North America is in trouble. Federal Wildlife officials announced today that Monarch butterflies deserve protection under the Endangered Species Act, but they won't get it. Why not? NPR's Nathan Rott explains. What the U. S Fish and Wildlife Service said today is that declines in monarch butterfly populations are so severe that they do warrant federal protections. But they're precluded from getting them because of limited resource is Be kind of like your dentist saying, Yeah, you need to get that cavity filled. But we've only got so many fillings so get in line and the line for monarchs is long. The Fish and Wildlife Service says 161 other species have priority nationally. Which makes today's announcement bittersweet for people like Serena Jepson. On one hand, I'm really happy to see that while they service recognizes that monarchs are threatened with extinction on the other, they're not doing much about it. Jepson is with the Tzar See Center for Invertebrate conservation, which helps count monarch populations every year, and the trend line, she says, is alarming. I really don't think that monarchs can wait indefinitely for protection. As recently as the 19 nineties, there were millions of monarch butterflies fluttering through backyards and across fields in the U. S. You've probably seen them and they're recognizable Rust Orange wings, But the eastern population of monarch butterflies has declined by 80% since the mid nineties, the western population which winters in Central California. Has dropped even further. Actually, just this year we're seeing potentially the collapse of the Western population. Federal wildlife officials are asking the public to help by planting milkweed and using less insecticide. Also review the monarch butterfly status every year. But the decision is still frustrating to Jake Leak who specializes an endangered species at the Environmental Policy Innovation Center. If you've already done like 90% of the work to make a wanted finding, we'll just do the remaining 10% and get it done by putting a listing awfully says it will not only cost more time but money. With the extinction crisis. Worsening money for biodiversity will be in short supply. Nathan Rott NPR news For college bound high school seniors. The pandemic has taken campus tours and even some admissions exams.